When we bought our house we knew we wanted to update the kitchen but weren't sure what direction we'd take until we started getting contractor quotes of $50,000 and up. To save money (a lot of money), we decided to keep everything where it was, replace the appliances, and pretty much facelift the rest.
The people at The Home Depot were so helpful and really guided us through the process as we did it ourselves, step-by-step.
Ready for a tour?
Our cabinets were in great shape and are really well-made so instead of replacing them entirely, we replaced a few of the doors with glass paneled doors and painted everything with Home Depot's Behr paint in Antique White. We also replaced the old hardware with brushed nickel pulls.
The appliances were not only outdated but a few of them only worked halfway. The arm inside the dishwasher didn't spin anymore so only about half of the dishes ever got clean, one of the stove's burners and the broiler didn't work, and the fridge, while in working order, was too short for its space by about eight inches. We purchased a stainless Kitchen Aid fridge and stainless Maytag dishwasher from The Home Depot as well as a new stove and microwave.
There wasn't a backsplash in the kitchen and we really loved the look of one so purchased tumbled marble tiles from The Home Depot that Scott installed himself. I love their soft, rustic look. We also coordinated the installation of new granite countertops through The Home Depot.
We wanted to add some detail to the peninsula island and walls so bought beadboard panels and faced the island and bottom half of the walls with the beadboard.
We added some narrow ledge moulding to the top of the beadboard on the walls and painted the walls above the ledge in a very soft yellow, Behr paint in Havana Cream.
Scott must have ripped up four layers of flooring, at least - laminate wood, a few layers of old linoleum, and I think something else too. Once he got down the bottom, he tiled the floor in a ceramic tile we bought at The Home Depot, that had the same soft color and rustic look as the tumbled marble backsplash.
We worked hard on the revamp of our kitchen but couldn't be happier with how we were able to stay within a tight budget and still get a totally updated look.











Will you share how you approached painting your cabinets?
ReplyDeleteEverything looks beautiful!
It was actually pretty simple...I opted not to sand them all down but primered really well and followed with two coats of semi-gloss latex paint. I used a brush to paint the indented parts and a foam roller for a smooth finish on the flat parts.
DeleteThanks for the tips! I so want to do this to my cabinets this summer.
DeleteI love looking at great before and after photos. And these certainly are awesome!
ReplyDeleteYou guys did a beautiful job!
Beautifully done! You must be thrilled with the results. I'm sure it was an incredibly amount of work but it's always worth it in the end!
ReplyDeleteBravo, my friend!
this turned out beautifully! it's amazing how paint can totally transform dated cabinets! i love what you did with the space and it looks totally different!
ReplyDelete-- jackiejade.blogspot.com
Your kitchen is gorgeous! I love how you changed out the cabinet doors for class. Hard to believe this was a budget DIY job!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Kelly...a budget job def made sense here because of our plan to stay 5-7 years. But we're totally thrilled with the outcome!
DeleteBeautiful! It looks so much brighter and more airy. Great makeover!
ReplyDeleteI think all your choices look great! I don't think a designer could have done any better.
ReplyDeleteLooks amazing! And agree, Home Depot is our go to for all of our renovation projects. So much so, the crew at our local store know us and greet us the minute we walk in!! LOL
ReplyDeleteIt looks so bright, warm and inviting!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Lo! We love it.
DeleteI'm SOOOO impressed! We're facing a kitchen reno in the next year (link below) and I love all your budget-friendly ideas. (The quotes we've gotten have been SCARY expensive!) By the way, I'm in the Boston area too. Do you rent Scott out for these kinds of projects because I have a hard time getting my husband to change a light bulb! ;)
ReplyDeleteSusan
http://simplymodernhome.com/2013/02/07/i-dream-of-kitchens/
haha, sure, I'll rent him out!
DeleteWOW
ReplyDeleteWhat a transformation! It is so so encouraging to learn one doesn't have to break the bank to achieve success!
The paint alone makes such a big difference! Everything else puts it over the top! :)
ReplyDeleteWow, that’s simply amazing! Just look that awesome transformation! I can’t believe you only have a minimum budget for this. But you have done it! I truly love that total makeover from classy to elegant. The kitchen is much more attractive and comfortable compared to the previous setup. Great job!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Sarah :) It does feel good knowing we did so much of it ourselves! And I love how it all came together.
DeleteThat is beautiful! We're in the process of moving to another house and this would be a fabulous way for my kitchen to turn out. We're planning on staying in the house for 30 years, so it's worth spending some money on!
ReplyDeleteOh, definitely...if you'll be using the kitchen for that many years of your life, really make it one you love!
Delete