In the process of doing this, I realized a few things that helped me pare down and put things back together in an organized way, so I'll share these little tidbits with you along the way (you'll find them in italics throughout). And the best part is I didn't spend a penny. No fancy organizing systems here, I didn't even spring for new, matching hangers - just some simple steps you can take to rein in the mess and keep yourself organized going forward.
Here's where I started...messy piles...
...clothes crammed in...
...and more of the same.
First things first, I knew I had a major purge coming. I took every single item out of my closet, armful by armful, and I sorted into piles: donate, consign, list on EBay, trash. And here is my tip #1 - be ruthless. If you haven't worn it in a year, say goodbye.
Here's a peek at my piles forming.
Back to the task at hand. Once I'd weeded through every last thing in my closet, I started putting them back, giving thought to how I dress and how it would be easiest for me to see what I have and find what I'm looking for.
Next tip - organize your clothes by genre. I hung dresses together, skirts together, shirts together, and jackets together. Within those, I hung in little subcategories, too.
I also organized hanging shirts and folded items by color and/or pattern- whites together, blues together, stripes together, and so on.
I also found that keeping all folded clothes with the folded edge facing out kept the piles looking neater and helped me tell quickly what I was looking at.
Some shoes I keep in boxes, some not in boxes, and aligning the shoes not in boxes with one shoe facing front and the match facing back takes up less space than facing them all the same way.
I use a tie rack to keep all my belts organized.
It telescopes out so I can easily see and get to what I want.
So, after much purging, and a little bit of soul searching about my clothes consuming habits, I had everything put back together and looking so much better.
Looking for some other simple, inexpensive organization ideas? Check out how I used shoe boxes to organize dresser drawers, a coat closet that works every inch, and 15-minute kitchen drawer organization.
* * * * * * *














I need to do this. I have to do the warm weather/cold weather switch-a-roo every year and I am determined to make my closet work for me! Thanks for the inspiration :) xo K
ReplyDeleteLooks great! I need to do that when I get back. I do have a tie rack for my belts though ;)
ReplyDeleteLooks great! My closet is in desperate need of some organization! Great idea to use the tie rack, my belts are so disorganized I can't even tell what I have!
ReplyDeletelooks great and i am impressed with your wardrobe! ;) my clothes all fit into one closet, too, and i have them organized seasonally- i rotate them just for easier seasonal access.
ReplyDeleteYou can send some of that purge pile my way! ;)
ReplyDeleteI always feel like I have no clothes. I know that I do, but I always want more. I usually save buying new clothes for Christmas and my birthday though, I'm kind of cheap haha.
OK, first I'm going to make a pitcher of fauxitos and THEN I will tackle the closet. Kidding :) I've just gone through a similar purging, sorting and re-closeting everything we own, so I share your pain and also that feeling of how-did-I-accumulate-so-much!!!??? I love how you did it. The organizing, not the accumulating lol. And no I don't think you're crazy for organizing your sweaters by color. I think I'm making progress on the organizing front, but now I need to move ahead on the wardrobe front. Since we moved to NY (from CT) 4 years ago, the number of times that I have to be dressed professionally (ie. clerical collar) during the week are so much less than when we lived in CT. The parishes I served there expected that I would be in clericals all the time and busy...so I have some lovely jackets, skirts, pants, all of which coordinate with the charming black shirt and white collar that is "standard issue" for me. I also have some more feminine clerical shirts, etc. But now I live in a rural village in NY and interact with a variety of people from all different walks of life. So while it feels like a more authentic ministry (as opposed to dressing up and looking busy) it is all too easy to live in yoga pants, jeans, tshirts, etc. all the time except for those times when I am out doing pastoral visits, church services, diocesan committee meetings. It's similar to when I first had children and was home full time and my "career clothes" seemed so out of place for breastfeeding, diaper-changing, endless laundry and spit up. On every single shoulder of every single shirt. Why am I telling you all this??? Probably because you're humanity comes through your blog so clearly~~I figured you'd understand. Point being, I appreciated the scope of your closet project because you were able to sort and put things back making distinctions that I need to make--like with your t shirts. Mine are divided in piles of Yoga tshirts, Crappy tshirts, dressing tshirts, long sleeved dressy, long sleeve casual,etc. So your post made me think a little more logically (it doesn't really show, though, does it? my more logic thinking, I mean.) And I have time today to do something about it! Maybe you could help me solve my shoe problem...I have so many pairs of shoes it's embarrassing. And most of them are black. But we can save that problem for another time. You know I love your blog, so I hope you don't mind this long-winded comment!!
ReplyDeletePeggy! Wow, what a comment :) I'm no longer breastfeeding but am fully in the era of yoga pants, jeans, and t-shirts most of the time. It sounds like your new role is a great opportunity to broaden the wardrobe and also a great fit for your personality. I hope you were able to get some closet organization done today too - it feels SO good afterwards! xo
DeleteI think you did a great job and you have to organize in a way that works for you. And I really don't think you have a ton of clothes...I am gathering from the number of dresses and skirts that you work. I have to change out my closet for the seasons, so I keep pretty much on top of it. Keeping it neat is the hardest!!
ReplyDeleteWow, you have some sky high heels girl!
XO,
Jane
Ugh...my closet is screaming at me and it is my least favorite space to tackle! Yours looks great now and maaaay just give me enough motivation to take on mine!
ReplyDeleteHey, you can donate your clothing cast-offs to the Freckles Chick Fund, if you want! #lustingafteryourwardrobe
ReplyDeleteI need to purge/organize mine & yours is the kick in the pants I need. Why haven't I ever thought of that shoe trick? And the belt rack? Clever!!
I envy your closet space! Our little old tudor house has tiny closets and everything is packed and piled in. I swear, I don't even know half of what I own anymore because I can't see it or find it! Might have to take over the kids' closets ;)
ReplyDeleteI went through a clothes purge last year (I think) and I did it a second time on my shirts because I had so many. I still feel like I need a better organizing system for my closet. But I'm working on it. I like this post a lot. I got some reminders for closet organizing. Thanks. :)
ReplyDeleteI am obsessed with organizing my closet and do it at least 3 times a year. One thing that made a huge difference for me was getting all matching hangers. It is definitely an investment but it will make a big difference. I am a fan of the REal SImple slim line hangers, which you can find at Bed Bath and Beyond.
ReplyDeleteI will definitely do this eventually! I always notice what a difference that makes but haven't taken the leap to get them yet.
Delete