The ice creams I'm drawn to are usually much like my other favorite desserts - chocolate, nuts, caramel, salty-sweet combos. Buy my most favorite, since childhood, is mint chocolate chip. I almost never get it when we go out for ice cream though because I've always, also since childhood, been kind of grossed out by that fluorescent green color that is de rigueur in ice cream shop mint chocolate chip.
Breyers mint chocolate chip has always held my top spot, but this summer I wanted to try out making it at home. And surprise, surprise, my version is green!
I'll keep buying my Breyers, but on summer days when I have an abundance of fresh mint growing out back and am in the habit of giving my ice cream maker a workout, this recipe will stay on my list.
Fresh Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Ingredients
2 c. cream
1 c. milk (any kind you like)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. peppermint extract
1/2 c. packed fresh mint leaves
2 eggs
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. dark chocolate chunks
Combine cream, milk, both extracts, and mint leaves in a blender. Blend until mint has been completely pulverized.
Pour mixture into a saucepan and bring just to a boil over medium high heat. Meanwhile, whisk eggs and sugar in another small bowl. Ladle some of the milk mixture into the eggs and whisk rapidly and constantly, then do one more time. Slowly pour the egg mixture into the milk mixture, whisking constantly. Continue to whisk over medium heat until the mixture thickens slightly - do not let it boil or it will curdle. Refrigerate until cold.
Pour the chilled mixture into an ice cream maker and process until it starts to thicken. Pour the chocolate chunks in and continue to process until it's the consistency of slightly softened ice cream.
Spoon into a lidded container and freeze, or serve immediately.
Click here for a printable recipe.
If you're looking for another great homemade ice cream recipe, this is another of my favorites!





Mint chocolate chip has always been my fav flavor too! This looks so yummy. What kind of ice-cream maker do you have? I need one in my life!
ReplyDeleteIt's made by Cuisinart. Got it at Bed Bath & beyond a couple years ago. Def not crazy expensive...my recollection is that it was around $50. So easy to use, you just spoon the stuff in and it does all the work for you!
ReplyDeleteMint is my husband's favorite! I'd love to make this at home and get some brownie points! ;)
ReplyDeleteYum! I might have to look into getting an ice cream maker.
ReplyDeletemint chip is one of my favorites too! Going to have to give this one a try.
ReplyDeleteYou rule! Looks delicious!
ReplyDeleteAnd I so agree with you about the fluorescent green looking ice cream or any bright (fake looking) ice cream. I can't stand it and usually refuse to buy it for the kids. The artificial food coloring is so bad!
Jen, my husband will love you for this! Mint chocolate chip is his all-time fave! Looks amazing...and your photography skills are off the charts! Fantastic pics!
ReplyDeleteSusan
Ym! Breyers mint chocolate chip is one of my favorites too!
ReplyDelete