It's a nice adaptable project - you can adjust the dimensions to make any sized box you want. If you have scrapwood, wood stain, and some extra cabinet pulls lying around (which I did) this is also a super inexpensive way to add a new element to your dining table, coffee table, or a side table this year. It would also make a great handmade holiday gift filled with some goodies!
I wanted something narrow I could use in the the center of my dining room table through the holiday season. It's perfect for corralling any number of seasonal decorations and I love the high-low effect I get when it's paired with my silver and white china and glittery glass candlesticks.
Here's what you'll need to complete this project:
- fine grit sandpaper block
- 1x3 pine board cut into four pieces - 2@20 1/2" and 2@5 1/2"
- 1x6 pine board cut to 19"
- wood stain (I used Minwax Early American)
- drill
- 2 cabinet pulls
- corner clamp
- nail gun with 3/4" nails or 3/4" finishing nails and a hammer
Apply your stain by wiping a thin coat on with a paper towel or rag. Let soak in a moment before wiping down with another dry paper towel or rag. You can also opt to apply a wood conditioner before the stain but for this project I wanted the slightly streaky look you get applying stain straight to pine so skipped the wood conditioner this time around.
Center the cabinet pulls on the 5 1/2 pieces of pine and mark where the holes should be drilled to attach the hardware. Drill holes then attach hardware with screws (included with most pulls).
The whole project took me an hour, at the very most, and cost me $0 in new materials. My favorite kind :)






No comments:
Post a Comment
I love hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to leave me a note. If your e-mail address is visible I'll reply to you by e-mail. if not, I'll leave follow up comments here in the comments section.