Friday, June 22, 2012

Fresh Margaritas


Fresh, homemade margaritas have become one of our favorite weekend cocktails.  After I made these margs for the first time, with freshly-squeezed lemon and lime and not a drop of pre-packaged mix, it was all over for me.  I've never been able to go back to a pre-made mix.  It's hard to put into words how much better these are...imagine the difference between a Twinkie and a freshly baked cupcake with velvety buttercream and you're close.

It takes a little elbow grease to squeeze the citrus, but I promise you it is worth every twist of the wrist.  If you have an electric juicer (and, seriously, why do I not have an electric juicer??) you'll be sipping a refreshing cocktail in no time.

Fresh Margaritas

Ingredients
1 c. white tequila
1 c. triple sec
5 limes
4 lemons
*simple syrup

In a large pitcher, mix the tequila, triple sec, and juice of 4 limes and 3 lemons.  Add simple syrup to taste - I add about 1/4 c.  Dilute with ice cold water to taste.  Slice the remaining lime and lemon into thin rounds for garnish.





*For simple syrup, combine equal parts water and sugar in a microwave safe bowl or in a saucepan and warm in microwave or on stovetop until sugar dissolves.  I usually do 1 c. sugar and 1 c. water and keep the extra in the fridge - it's great for iced coffee!

Click here for printable recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to leave me a note. If your e-mail address is visible I'll reply to you by e-mail. if not, I'll leave follow up comments here in the comments section.