Monday, February 25, 2013

Stairs Makeover Phase 2

I'm moving along with the changes to our stairs and am so thrilled with the progress so far.  The staircase is smack in front of you when you walk in our front door and the first thing anyone who comes in sees, so prettifying the space has a lot of impact. 

I showed you last week that my dad and I had pulled up the old runner, which was a much cleaner look, but left me with risers that looked like this.


I gave them a quick sand with my pad sander, filled the holes with lightweight spackle, then painted the risers to match the other white trim.

I

 The progression to date has been from carpeted, to bare with holes, to smooth and painted.


I also decided to paint the handrail and bottom piece of the banister in black semi-gloss and, oh my gosh, I love it even more than I imagined I would.


It has so much more visual impact with the black and white contrast.


I have some plans for that back wall of the stairs that are coming together and I'm really excited about it.  Stay tuned for the details!...

14 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful Jen!!!! Have a great Monday, Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, what a big difference it made! My parents painted their rail black gloss awhile back and it made such a big difference! Can't wait to see the finished look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the how impactful a change like this can be! The painted risers are so refreshing...and I too have been dying to paint something, anything, in high gloss black paint. It looks great so far! Maybe this will give me the courage to try it?!?!? I don't know, it seems so permanent....

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did such a great job! I love the black banister, it looks SO amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I love it too, so glad I took the plunge and went with the black!

      Delete
  5. Looks great Jen!! Carpeted stairs can be a blessing or a curse, but more often than not they're an eye-sore. I love that you painted the banister black, it does really make a big difference in the space. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're lucky enough to inherit a lovely runner with your house I totally love the look. But hunter green and maroon? No thanks. Seriously not sure how I stuck with that for 5 years...I guess I just stopped noticing after awhile??

      Delete
  6. looking great! the stairs look so different - great work!
    -- jackiejade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! It looks a lot brighter without the runner. I love a great before and after! Thanks for sharing!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The stairs look so great - love that rail in black too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your stairs look wonderful! We've been thinking about painting our risers, so you may have convinced me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an exciting process! And You make it look so easy!

    http://two-leaf-clover.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to leave me a note. If your e-mail address is visible I'll reply to you by e-mail. if not, I'll leave follow up comments here in the comments section.