Monday, March 25, 2013

{DIY} Child's Upholstered Chair

First things first...as many of you may know already, Google Reader will be no-more as of July 1st.  If you currently read this or any other blog on Google Reader you'll need to sign up with a new service so you can continue to stay up to date with all your daily reads.  Feedly and Bloglovin' are two free readers that have options for easily transferring all your subscriptions.  May as well do it now, right?!  If you currently get updates via e-mail, nothing will change.  My fellow Creative Team member at I Heart Naptime, Talitha of Love, Pomegranate House, wrote a great summary of these two options.  You can see it here

And now that chair I mentioned...If you follow me on Instagram or Twitter, then you already got a sneak peek of this chair I made for my niece, Tory, as a baby shower gift this past weekend.


You might remember I made a chair for my other niece, Lily, back in October.


Lily's was the first one I ever made from the frame up and I knew all along that the upside was that she got my first chair, and the downside was that she also got all the mistakes I made my first time.  The arms were a little wide for the scale of the chair and stuck out a bit oddly in the back.  The frame was made of pine, which was a little too soft, and needed lots of unforeseen reinforcement.

So I corrected all those mistakes this time around, changed the style a bit, and overall really love how Tory's chair came out.  I still have a few things I'll tweak for my next chair, but on the whole, I feel like I'm getting this whole thing down!


And, of course, my little model needed to test out how comfy it was before we gave it to Tory.


Click here for a tutorial on building the frame of the chair and here for the tutorial on assembly and upholstery.  Whenever I make chair version 3.0 I'll post an update on the changes I make to the frame and upholstery.

And, for those of you without motivation, time, or desire to attempt this yourself, I'd love to custom make one for you!  Check out my Etsy shop for options.  They make great baby shower and first birthday gifts :)

Linking to Tatertots and Jello, Liz Marie Blog, Miss Mustard Seed, Craftberry Bush, Savvy Southern Style, The Winthrop Chronicles, Home Stories A to Z, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia.

36 comments:

  1. Absolutely INCREDIBLE! OMG, you are so talented!!!!Jen@ City Farmhouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so talented! Really!
    I love all the detail and the fabric is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is sooo great and stylish for a little person :) Fantastic, Jennifer! xo Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously awesome!! Looking forward to seeing the tweaks that you made! You must be the favorite Aunt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you are uber talented! Must see how you do this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are darling! So much cuter than the PB chairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny. I think so too...the PB ones are great toss-around chairs. I kind of see something like this as more of an heirloom.

      Delete
  7. I am so glad these will be in your Etsy shop I would love to get one for Sterling. And great taste in fabric that is what we have on our dining room chairs. Such a great job Jennifer, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! At first I thought you just recovered a chair - wow! What fabric did you use? I'd love to use it in my son's room.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You are so talented! Love the fabric. You did ah-mazing! You should join my new linky party {1 party, 5 blogs!}
    http://www.somuchbetterwithage.com/2013/03/give-me-goods-party-1.html
    Have a great week!
    Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so beautiful! You do amazing work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can I get one of these in an adult size too please? ;-). Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a beautiful chair!! You did a wonderful job! Julia @ www.juliakendrick.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful chair! The fabric is awesome, and those nail heads are perfect! Great job - thanks for sharing all the hard work!
    Kim @ www.twotendesigns.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Majorly jealous of your skills! Both of these chairs are AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. umm your amazing. Im scared to death to tackle one upholstery project! its beautiful. Id love for you to come over and share at our linky party!

    http://www.lifewelive4.com/2013/03/love-it-list-it-linky-party-5.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura:) Don't be scared, just pick something small, hold your breath, and leap!

      Delete
  16. This is awesome!!!! I love it, featuring later today.
    XO
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is SO adorable! I want one in a little size for my son for our basement that we're finishing right now. It would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my heck! This is the cutest chair! You are such a smarty! I would love for you to share this on my weekly link party Blog Stalking Thursday. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a couple of labors of love (just like our children themselves). The chairs are charming and came out great :)

    Craft On & dance like no one else is watching :)

    Visiting from WOW Us Wednesday @Savvy Southern Style's linky party
    Smiles,
    Suz @MaytagNMom
    NW Illinois
    My Party Project This Week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) The second was quicker than the first, but you're right, they are labors of love!

      Delete
  20. Stopping in to pin - adorable!

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really? You did that? That is so professional! Wonderful and beautiful.
    Nancy
    http://wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I need this in my life, but first I need a house that I'll live in for more than a minute so that I want to collect things :) There's something about moving constantly that nips collecting too much furniture in the bud.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a BEAUTIFUL little chair!!! I LOVE the fabric!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. that's amazing! I love it! what a great little spot to curl up with a book :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. What!!! This is AMAZING!! You rock! Love that I could build it from scratch and get such an awesome result! I also love your fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to leave me a note. If your e-mail address is visible I'll reply to you by e-mail. if not, I'll leave follow up comments here in the comments section.