Friday, June 7, 2013

Custom Child's Upholstered Chair...Still Going


I haven't mentioned my children's chairs in awhile but they're always in the back of my mind and I've been working on finalizing the design and meeting with some local children's and furniture stores to help me understand the industry.  One store in particular seems really interested in carrying them once I nail down the design, which has been really exciting for me.

So here's the latest chair in the progression!  I fixed some small issues that came up for me in the last chair and think - think - I may have one more prototype to build before I really have my finished product.  And then I will be all ready for you to spread the word and flood me with orders ;)

I made this chair as an auction item for a fundraiser at my older daughter's preschool this month.


I stayed with the rolled arm design with nailheads along the front but added some welting detail along the base.  I used different legs this time too, because the bun feet were out of stock when I went to buy them. 


My model was sure to apply some lip gloss before hopping in for her close-up.


Things I want to adjust for the last (well...I hope last) chair prototype are the construction of the frame (namely the front of the arms and the back) and I think I'll add a little extra padding to the back of the chair to really beef up the cushioning.  

I feel like I'm on the right track, though.  Stay tuned, I hope to have that final chair to share with you soon!

15 comments:

  1. Congrats Jen. This is sooo exciting. I can't wait to chat and share all of our experiences over the last year over a glass of wine soon. Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chair looks gorgeous! I'm sure you will be flooded with orders as soon as you put it out there! This is such an exciting venture, good luck to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A local store carrying your chairs is awesome news. And I think that's the greatest school auction item I have ever seen.
    Love your little model. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So exciting Jen! I love the fabric on that one :) xo Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  5. the fabric of this child chair is very nice! I'm sure you will have a lot of orders once you will have the final model! :-) very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i've said it before and i will say it again.... you are one talented woman.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I'm so excited for you! Your chairs are simply wonderful. I LOVE auction chair. So pretty and your little model is gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, Jennifer!!!! That is so exciting and I will send all sorts of good thoughts your way! What an exciting venture!!! And yes, I'm thinking as soon as you show that chair is ready to order, you are going to be swamped!!! It's gorgeous and I would love one for my boys!!! Seriously, you cook, you build, you decorate...is there anything you cannot do!? ;) Jesse @ Scout & Nimble

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Hmmm...I don't do plumbing or electrical work. Well, at least not yet :)

      Delete
  9. This is awesome! Can't believe you make these all by hand, super impressed! Love the nail head trim details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Have my supplies and I'm hoping to really nail down the final design this week.

      Delete
  10. You're so skilled, gal!! Stop it, you're making me feel lazy. These chairs would sell like hotcakes!! I'm crazy about that Greek key fabric. Your model is too too too darling, lipgloss & all.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to leave me a note. If your e-mail address is visible I'll reply to you by e-mail. if not, I'll leave follow up comments here in the comments section.