Thursday, June 13, 2013

{DIY} Herringbone Table

This was one of those semi-impromptu projects I get myself into sometimes.


When I was cleaning and setting the furniture back up on our screened porch a few weeks ago I started playing with the furniture arrangement a little.  Which I do pretty much all the time anyway, but this room only became inhabitable for the first time last summer, so this is actually only the second time things have been moved around out here.

But more on my reasons for moving the furniture later...

When I moved the sofa to its new spot it was suddenly screaming for a coffee table.  But we were definitely not going to buy one right now.  So I started digging around the hoards of furniture stashed in our basement and garage and came out with two of these end tables we got for free (well, "free") when we bought our sofa seven years ago.


In fact, one of them lived on the porch last year.


So my wheels starting turning...

The tables were pretty banged up already with peeling veneer and/or chipped paint so I made a pretty quick decision to break them apart and repurpose the pieces as a new table with a herringbone inlay pattern on top.  The only things I needed to buy were a few pine boards and four furniture feet.  I stained the finished table with a light grey/cream stain and gave it a top coat of protective wax.

I'll share some more details with you and a general tutorial on how you might do something similar tomorrow, but for today, here's the finished table!









Click HERE for a tutorial on making this yourself!

25 comments:

  1. You are so talented! I wish I had your woodworking skills! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how the table turned out and can't wait to see the diy! I imagined you creating it from scratch, but I starting with an existing table seems more do-able. Pinning this one as a Honey-do! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful! You are truly a furniture wizard. I can never get over how talented you are. PS- did you make those outdoor cushion covers? I'm about to tackle that and yours look stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing! That table is gorgeous! People would pay big bucks for something like that. Nice job Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so good!! I love that you added the second level - perfect for extra storage! Absolute perfection, like always! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have such talent. Seriously! And where do you find the time? Amazing. Great job!

    Susan

    http://simplymodernhome.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, Susan :) I work on these things most afternoons for a couple hours, while my youngest naps and my oldest kind of entertains herself!

      Delete
  7. You are the diggity bomb, really! Love it! You and Sarah can go into the herringbone coffee table business together ;)
    Amazing job, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy smokes girl! That's awesome! And did you happen to DIY that rug as well? It's beautiful. Can't wait to see the how to!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i want to build like you when i grow up! you are amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another incredible idea, and job executing it!! Love how functional the lower shelf makes it and the feet detail!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to see how you made this! It's SO beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's pretty amazing! I love it! I'll take 2! xo Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thant is really incredible, honestly, never in a million. great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is just so cool Jennifer! I can't wait to see the how-to!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seriously you are so talented girl! Can't believe you built this - you are like the McGuiver of furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was out of town last week and tried to stay unplugged, but I did catch a peek of this table and I absolutely LOVED it! I totally figured you went out and bought the wood, but now after seeing you repurposed it I think you might be the most handy gal I 'know'! Seriously???? I feel like I have said this to you before, but you really are a total rock star! ;) Jesse @ Scout & Nimble

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, lovebug! You are too funny. Seriously was like a $30 project though in the end - love that!

      Delete
  17. This table is amazing!!! I love the herringbone, and your tutorial makes it sound like it might actually be doable for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how you started with a ready-made table and made it fabulous!!! That herringbone is divine. Great work, as usual!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to leave me a note. If your e-mail address is visible I'll reply to you by e-mail. if not, I'll leave follow up comments here in the comments section.