Thursday, August 15, 2013

Healthy Homemade Granola

I'm not a big cold cereal eater.  But granola?  I love granola.  Especially the healthy, homemade kind :)

Healthy Homemade Granola with Seeds and Nuts

Crunchy, chewy, complex, almost buttery - there's nothing I don't love about it.

My mother-in-law has been making a granola she calls "summer cereal" since my husband and his brother were boys and I finally wrote down the recipe a few weeks ago.  Guess what?  It's super easy and makes a boatload, so for very little effort you can have containers full of granola just waiting to be gobbled up.

Healthy Homemade Granola with Seeds and Nuts

I adapted the ingredients a little from the original to add in some extra healthy seeds, and you should feel free to tweak the recipe to suit your tastes too.  Take the add-ins I list here as suggestions but use whatever nuts, dried fruit, and seeds you love.  Next time I make it I think I'll add some pecans and walnuts too and maybe some dried tart cherries.

One suggestion - if you do want to add dried fruit, it's better to stir that in after baking or the fruit gets a little scorched.

I love granola with yogurt and fresh fruit or a small bowl with some dried fruit and almond milk.  It's so tasty and satisfying, I really have to force myself to only eat one serving a day.  My family could easily blow through one of these batches in a couple of days if we didn't make ourselves stop.  It's that good.

Healthy Homemade Granola with Seeds and Nuts

Healthy Homemade Granola with Seeds and Nuts

Healthy Homemade Granola
Ingredients
5 c. old fashioned oats
1/2 c. sunflower seeds
1/2 c. pumpkin seeds
1/2 c. white sesame seeds
1/2 c. black sesame seeds
1 c. wheat germ
1 c. shredded coconut
1c. sliced almonds
1 c. nonfat dried milk
1 c. vegetable oil (grapeseed, canola or safflower all work)
1 c. honey

Preheat oven to 300ยบ.

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.  Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet.

Bake 15 minutes, then stir and bake another 15 minutes.  Give a stir after removing from the oven, then let cool in the pan.  Store in airtight containers.

Click HERE for a printable recipe.

You can find more healthy breakfast ideas on my Breakfast page, like Multigrain Pancakes, Double Blueberry Almond Scones, and Healthy Huevos Rancheros.

6 comments:

  1. yum i may have to try this! lately my breakfast of choice is organic oatmeal with almond milk and some sort of fruit- so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! This looks delicious! Definitely need to try my hand at my own granola!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, we love granola here! I NEED to make this. Thanks for sharing! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This granola sounds yummy! I am going to whip of a batch of this over the weekend! We are big yogurt and granola breakfast eaters. I like to give the neighbors a little something for Christmas. This would fun in a mason jar with a pretty ribbon. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love granola, looks like another great recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to leave me a note. If your e-mail address is visible I'll reply to you by e-mail. if not, I'll leave follow up comments here in the comments section.