Monday, September 9, 2013

Coral and Gold Dresser

Here she is, folks!  The dresser I've been jabbering on about for weeks, now completely finished and functioning in my little Ellie's room like a good dresser should.


This was my childhood dresser, which has spent the past good many years sadly stowed away in my parents' basement, waiting to be brought back out into the light.  My parents had asked me years ago if I wanted it for either of our girls but I remember thinking it didn't go with the bedroom "sets" I'd envisioned.  

Turns out I'm not such a fan of matchy-matchy bedroom sets after all (wish I'd realized this before buying our master bedroom collection...but that's a story for another day) and once I started going down a more eclectic route in Ellie's room, I knew my solid-wood, excellent quality, childhood dresser would be the perfect piece to finish off her furnishings.
Its original finish was sort of blondish with speckles and I wanted something more vibrant. 



I loved the carved details on the drawers and along the bottom curves, but decided to use wood filler to smooth over a couple areas (one on the dresser and one on the mirror) that had a flower motif.  I used a spackle knife to apply wood filler and let it dry about an hour.

Then I used a pad sander to sand the filler flush with the rest of the dresser.  I started with a coarse grit sandpaper for heavier removal of the filler and ended with fine grit for that perfectly smooth finish.

 

I did the same to the flower carving on the mirror.


For the drawers, I removed the hardware and taped heavy-duty trash bags around the openings so the insides wouldn't get painted.  You can also see below that I covered the mirror with tape and newspaper.


Time to get painting!  I wanted a glass-smooth finish so used my favorite painting tool, my HomeRight paint sprayer (details HERE).

I started with a base coat of Zinsser Bulls Eye Primer and once dry applied several thin coats (letting each one dry before applying the next) of my chosen color, Benjamin Moore Milano Red.


The color I was going for here was coral.  Milano Red, as it turns out, is pink.  I love a good dash of pink, but on a furniture piece this big, it was way too much pink for me.  And unfortunately it took me two days and the pieces being fully finished to realize I wasn't into it.

I stood in the driveway for awhile thinking maybe it would be okay and maybe I was overthinking it but I knew in my gut it wasn't what I wanted.  So as much as I wanted to cry juuuust a little at the wasted time, it was worth a do-over.

I went back and got the color I'd originally thought was "the one" - Benjamin Moore Holly Berry.


I should've stuck with my first instinct, because this time, it was right and exactly what I'd pictured.

A few more thin coats of Holly Berry with the sprayer and the paint was just as I wanted.  I finished the top of the dresser with Minwax Water-Based Polyacrylic to protect from scratches and scuffs since the top will get the most wear and tear.  The poly also removes that sticky feeling latex paint has, which you definitely don't want on a dresser top.

For the mirror, I used Krylon 18K Gold spray paint.  The first go-round I'd done the mirror in Milano Red but I wound up thinking a contrast color would be better.

I let everything dry overnight before bringing the pieces back inside and putting it all back together.

I used Antique Gold Rub-n-Buff to change the hardware from ivory to gold.  I also used a tiny paintbrush and Liquid Gold Leaf to bring out the carved parts of the dresser.

Coral and Gold Dresser from The Chronicles of Home

Ellie is totally thrilled with her "new" dresser and Ada is suddenly a bit depressed about the white furniture in her room.

I love the way the coral works with the navy blue nightstand and pale aqua in the rest of her room.

Coral and Gold Dresser from The Chronicles of Home

I wound up changing some of the frames on the little gallery wall from gold to black, because it felt like a LOT of gold with the mirror.  I'm not totally loving the black, feels a little harsh, but I haven't decided what I'm going to do about it yet.  Any ideas??

Coral and Gold Dresser from The Chronicles of Home

I'll share pictures of all the pieces in Ellie's room later this week so you can see everything all together.  

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't gone into Ellie's room a whole bunch of times these past couple weeks and sat in her rocking chair and stared at the dresser with a goofy smile on my face.  I love how the color came out, and that I saved a boatload over buying a brand new dresser, and perhaps most of all that the dresser and I have a history that now continues with my daughter.  Not to get all sappy on you...

Hope you have a great start to the week.  I have some exciting stuff coming up the end of this week so stay with me!

* * * * * * *





46 comments:

  1. I would spray the frames the same navy as the nightstand. That way you have the carry-over of color to that part of the room and it won't be as harsh as black. Plus I have to admit I love navy and gold together--so classy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The color is seriously amazing and I don't think I have to tell you how much I adore the gold touches. You know me, right? I would go into the room and stare at that dresser too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love it! I agree that navy frames might be a good idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, that is sooo pretty! It looks especially nice against that aqua wall! And the touches of gold are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that color in there!!! The perfect balance of charm and chic! I'd paint the frames white and give the mats a little pizzazz like Brittany did in her recent post. http://www.brittanymakes.com/2013/08/27/three-ways-to-customize-your-ikea-frames/

    P.S. At first glance I thought the shadows on your driveway were paint over spray! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it Jennifer! Great color and of course I adore the gold! xo Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love love love!!!! Awesome job. That's definitely not her mommas dresser anymore;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Give yourself an A++++ It's Awesome!!
    I would stare at it for hours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was going to say navy for the frames as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so pretty! You brought out the details perfectly and I love that you've refashioned your old dresser! I can't tell from the pic if the frame would be suitable, but I'm totally seeing a line of gold polka dots around the thick black bike frame, laid out like marquee lights! Or maybe the faux brass corner look on one or two of them?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE this color - totally worth all the time! The gold details are perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty! I love the gold with the coral. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so fancy, I love it! I bet it does look marvelous with the navy night tables. Totally a killer color combo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lucky little girl! It looks beautiful and I love the little gold details! Maybe spray the frames white? No matter what you do it will look great I'm sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a labor of love painting and then re-painting the dresser. It was well worth it though...love the color combo. Have the same thing going in my kids bath spruce up....juvenile yet refined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That phrase - "labor of love" - went through my head so many times! But it really was, and in the end definitely worth it to do it a second time.

      Delete
  16. Wow, you put so much into it and the outcome is stunning. It will be enjoyed for many more years!! Isn't funny, when you have your first place, your first instinct is to buy sets of furniture. Seems like I have been spending the last 8 years breaking up sets and painting pieces to mix it up! =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. THIS IS GREAT!!! The colors are perfect together and it's all so pretty! Ellie is a lucky girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I feel your pain about realizing you had to repaint (hate that!) but definitely worth it - it looks so, so cute. And I love that it used to be yours!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a pretty piece. I LOVE the color choice!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'd be staring at this dresser all day, too!! In fact, I sorta have been. You're such a details diva (gold leaf!!), I love it. And this piece has history, love that too.

    I actually quite like the black frames. Hmmm, what about doing the same thin line of gold leaf treatment to them? Also like the idea of navy for the frames!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks SO good! Definitely worth spending a little extra time to do another coat. Coral dressers are my weak spot - adding this one to my list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE pop of color and this coral is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous!! I love the gold and coral together!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my! I'm in love! What a beautiful makeover and I just love that it was your childhood dresser! Pinned it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. beautiful! and i like a little black in every room! maybe include a small black object somewhere else in the room to balance it out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already ditched the black! Agree with you almost always, I love a touch of black. Just wasn't feeling it in here :)

      Delete
  26. This s stunning!! I love the color combination in the room. It's unexpected, but gorgeous!! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christy :) It's a bright color for sure, but just what I'd pictured in the room.

      Delete
  27. This is so pretty! Love the way it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow...what a beautiful dresser ! You did a great job with the details !

    Best,
    Marlin

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is gorgeous!! Thanks for linking up at Work It Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is so, so stunning! The color is perfect (worth the 2nd try!) and I LOVE the gold! Pinned! I popped over from Inspire Me Please-- thanks for sharing!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
  32. this is my favorite blog party to visit. omg the power of paint and its ability to charm! bravo to you!

    hope you can hop over when you have a chance to read my interview with a hero of mine, rachel ashwell.http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com/2013/09/couture-prairie-interview-with-rachel.html

    smiles.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love the coral and gold with the blue accents in the room. Milano Red is delicious! Featured it on my blog today - thanks for the inspiration!
    www.favoritepaintcolorsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. You knocked this one out of the park, Jennifer! Absolutely gorgeous!! I featured you today at Work It Wednesday. I'd love for you to come and grab a button!

    xo, Laura @ The Turquoise Home
    http://theturquoisehome.com/2013/09/work-it-wednesday-no-15/

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to leave me a note. If your e-mail address is visible I'll reply to you by e-mail. if not, I'll leave follow up comments here in the comments section.