My parents have a cedar hope chest at the foot of their bed that has been in that exact spot for...I'm not sure exactly, maybe 30 years? One day when I was a child and in the throes of an enthusiastic art project that apparently required a hard-tipped pen, I added some deep, deep gouges to the top of the chest.
They're still there.
So when I walked into our guest room a few months ago and saw this, I could hardly get mad.
That's the nightstand in the guest room.
As luck would have it, I was invited to sample some new paint by Devine Color a while back and had chosen a really lovely pale grey with the slightest blue undertones called Beluga. My original plan was to paint the guest room walls with it but I ran out of time getting our house ready for sale so this damaged nightstand was the perfect backup use for the paint.
The process was really simple.
- I used a pad sander to sand the top only super smooth and erase the gouges.
- I used my paint sprayer to coat the whole piece in Kilz Bulls Eye Primer.
- Once the primer had dried I used the sprayer to apply a thin coat of Devine Beluga.
- Once that coat had dried I did a second one.
- I finished it all over with a sprayer-applied top coat of Minwax Water Based Polyacrylic in semi-gloss.
I really love this color - it picks up the blue in the Euro shams on the bed just enough to tone down all the green in this room.
I really would have liked to paint the walls with this color, too! Though I probably wouldn't have used the same color on the nightstand then and I do like how it broke up the matchy look going on before. I've slowly been coming out of my matchy phase the past few years and here's another break-up under my belt.
Are you a matchy type or are you digging the broken set look?





it looks so cute! and your story is pretty funny, too- we have all done things like that and our kids are here to do them to us! :)
ReplyDeleteSo pretty! I love the color and the knob. x
ReplyDeleteVery pretty! I love how bright it is - really brings out the details! Love!!
ReplyDeleteThe night stand is perfect. I love the color. I have some matchy/matchy. I try not to overdo it. I am not one to buy "sets". Love a room that has a variety of woods and textures.
ReplyDeleteWhy go matchy-matchy when mixing it up is so much more interesting??
ReplyDeleteThe table looks great!
What a charming and beautiful subtle color and it looks perfect on the nightstands. Love your little story too.
ReplyDeleteI'm totally for mixing it up! I think I've officially gotten rid of everything "matchy matchy". I love your little nightstand!
ReplyDeleteVery nice upgrade! The knob adds such a sweet touch to it. I've had to sand out some chew marks from my pups over the years. A good excuse to refinish I suppose! ha!
ReplyDeleteFunny! I love your story. Since this is the house I grew up in there is a dent in one of the closet doors that I put there as a kid and it has never been fixed. Silly! xo Kristin
ReplyDeleteThe nightstand looks great - consider the scratch a happy accident! What did you think of the paint?
ReplyDeleteThat is funny! i once carved "Lee" for Lee jeans in front of every place setting on my parents dining table! LOL This looks great! Love the color and the hardware!
ReplyDeleteLaura
House Envy
Oh my goodness - this is hilarious! You must have been super into your Lee jeans!!
DeleteOh happy accident! It looks gorgeous in the new color and I'm kinda obsessed with the name of the paint too :)
ReplyDelete