Monday, March 18, 2013

The Great Sofa Makeover

You know how I've been talking about reupholstering my couch for ages now?  Well, this weekend I finally took the leap!

http://distilleryimage10.s3.amazonaws.com/a27ed2948f1811e2b95b22000a1fab39_7.jpg

Scott took our girls up to New Hampshire for the weekend to visit his parents so I had the whole weekend - two entire days - all to myself.  I spent Saturday working on another project but yesterday worked on the sofa for eight straight hours with only one small break for a bowl of cereal around 1 p.m.

I have blisters and scratches all over my hands but got the entire thing stripped of dark brown leather and got the frame almost completely reupholstered in the new fabric, an antique ivory velvet.  I added antique brass nailheads on the front of the arms.


I LOVE it.  Every moment spent, blister, scratch, and sore muscle has been 100% worth it.  I'm so excited to share the new sofa with you when I finish!

Next up is the daunting sewing task of three box cushions with welting and zippers and three back pillows with welting and zippers as well.  So, if you need me this week, I'll be at the sewing machine :)

27 comments:

  1. good luck, can't wait to see the final result.
    Happy sewing.
    Bec x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh - you're so much bigger then me!!!
    I'm pretty gutsy - but reupholstering a couch? That's the final frontier for me lol
    Terrified of doing it - it's looking beautiful so far!
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow....That seems like such a daunting task but it looks good so far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like it is turning out beautiful! Loving the color and the nailheads. The difficultly of the projects you tackle always amazes me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! I don't think I'm brave enough to attempt that yet. It is looking great! xo Kristin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll say this - I wouldn't take it on as a first reupholstery project for sure. But I've done enough now that there haven't been any big surprises...at least not yet!

      Delete
  6. WOW! You are wonder woman…way to go!!
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing! I am loving the color and the nailhead trim. I would be sooo nervous cutting into that leather (and my hubby would think I was nuts).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! I love the trim! I can't wait to see the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Uhhh wow!! You are so brave!! That is terrifying! I don't think I would have the guts to do that! GO YOU!! YOU are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What a transformation already. Love the fabric and the nailhead. Hope you do a little tutorial on this when it is done! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks gorgeous! I can't believe you did this yourself.

    http://jennycollier.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are amazing! Seriously!
    Maybe when I see the finished sofa, which I can't wait to see, I'll get the courage to tackle my chaise. I've been wanting to do it for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW!!!! That is going to be beautiful, I can't wait to see the finished product!! That is a huge project to tackle (I would be terrified lol).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, what an amazing job! I can't wait to see it when it's completely finished, looks great so far!!
    xo,
    Marcela
    http://tucasablogonline.blogspot.com

    PS: I'm your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Inset big smile here: LOL When I saw the scissors,I thought "YES< YES< YES!" Exactly what I would do. Have fun.. I can't wait to see it! Woo HOO! You need some chips or something though instead of cereal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, glad you didn't think, "She is nuts" when you saw me going at my sofa with scissors :)

      Delete
  16. Looks like it's going to be gorgeous! What a treat to have two whole days to yourself! Hope you got some relaxing in there with your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahhhhh can't wait to see it all finished!!! Good on ya girlie!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is amazing - can't believe you were able to do that...great job!! Can hardly wait to see it finished ~

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can you teach me to sew....like just a straight line??? I'm THAT horrible at it. I tried to sew a pillow cushion once, like 12" x 12" and broke four needles. Yikes! I REALLY want to learn though!!! And I am SO excited to see the end result of your couch!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, that's an ambitious project! Can't wait to see the makeover and how you did it all.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jennifer, holy moly! Could you be more inspiring ~ way to go!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to leave me a note. If your e-mail address is visible I'll reply to you by e-mail. if not, I'll leave follow up comments here in the comments section.