I had a recipe planned for today, but when I sat down to my computer last night, my heart just wasn't in it. I don't know anyone hurt or killed yesterday, though one friend had been sitting with her two daughters, the exact same ages as mine, at the very site of the bombings, cheering on their husband and dad as he completed the Boston Marathon. They were only a few blocks away when they heard the bombs. And that is just so very, very close to home, both figuratively and literally.
Everyone in and around Boston rallies around "Marathon Monday," which is also Patriots Day in Massachusetts, a holiday commemorating the opening shots of the Revolutionary War in Concord and Lexington. I spent the sunny morning watching reenactors stroll around Concord (the town next to mine) in their colonial garb, and I played with my girls at the park, and had lunch outside with some good friends and their kids. A totally lovely, small-town America morning.
Maybe it feels extra awful to have had a morning where I felt so charmed to be exactly where I was and then have this tragedy happen right around the corner. Five years ago I was working about five blocks from the finish line and the site of the bombing.
I was scrolling through my Facebook feed last night and one after another person had posted angry or sympathetic or relieved updates to their statuses. And I came across one quote someone posted from Mr. Rogers.
I don't know if it struck me because I adored him as a child and it reminded me of a time before things like this really hit you in the face. Or if it is because at times like this, amid the horror, there is also always a vein of courage and goodness as you see strangers helping strangers, and I want to cling to that goodness to help me squash the hysterical feeling that we'll never really be safe and I'll never be able to completely protect my daughters and loved ones from the bad in the world.
Apparently, Mr. Rogers' mother told him when he was a boy, in times of disaster, to "look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping." I read that and thought of watching on the news yesterday afternoon as emergency workers and civilians tore apart the steel barricades and grandstands with their bare hands to get to the wounded on the street. For every few people running to safety there was one running toward the blast to help.
And I guess that's all I really have to say today. Look for the helpers. It was a potent reminder for me that amid the very dark in life, there is always some good trying to shine through.
I, too, saw the quote from Mr. Rogers on Facebook, and found encouragement in it. I also heard that many runners ran through the finish line and straight on to the hospital to give blood. Prayers go out.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad your friends are safe. I felt the same way. It's hard to write about recipes and design when your heart aches over something so horrible. xoxo Kristin
ReplyDeleteI loved watching Mr. Rogers as a kid. Such a kind, gentle man. I am glad to hear your friends are safe. I also had to check facebook yesterday to make sure everyone I knew was accounted for. So so sad.
ReplyDelete-Shelley
Thanks for posting this. Thankfully there were so many helpers yesterday and your city has handled this tragedy very well from the moment it happened. We are all praying for everyone affected.
ReplyDeleteThis was so well said, I have goose bumps.
ReplyDeleteI was also thinking of the people who jogged to the hospital to donate blood immediately while reading your post.
So sad. I have a lump in my throat this morning. I am so close to tears. I, too, had such a lovely relaxed morning with the kids and then this tragedy. I tried explaining what happened to my 7 year old last night and I focused on all the helpers. All those wonderful, heroic people who ran to help those who were hurt.
ReplyDeleteThe response of the volunteers and medical workers has been overwhelming. I've been so encouraged to see all of the testimonials of the witnesses who have gone on and on about how amazing the volunteers were. A small light in such a dark tunnel.
ReplyDeleteIt's becoming too much - just too much - no one's over Newtown yet and then this hits us ..................
ReplyDeleteLove this expression - thanks for sharing.
XXX
Feeling the same this morning and waking up with a heavy heart. And also feeling blessed that my little brother was traveling on business yesterday because he lives right in between where both bombings happened. He would have been right in the thick of it.
ReplyDeleteMissing my boston home a little more than usual today :( Stay strong.
xoxo
Lo
So glad your brother was away, wow. Always hard to be away from "home" when something like this happens.
Deletefeeling much of the same here as well. very surreal driving into work today and seeing all the state police with the dogs at the barracks. Just scary stuff way too close to home and heart.
ReplyDeleteMy best friend crossed the finish line one minute before the explosion. I have never felt fear like that in all of my life. I had four other friends running and everyone is safe and not hurt. Feeling very lucky but also just so, so sad. ;-(
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness...so glad your loved ones are safe.
DeleteI'm so glad you and everyone you know is safe! My husband and I were talking about the very same thing on Monday. How amazing it is that even after hearing two bombs go off and not knowing if there was a third waiting, people still ran towards the chaos to help. People often say they "lose faith in humanity" when things like this happen but I chose to see it the other way and find the triumph of the human spirit. Mr. Rogers always had it right!
ReplyDeleteYes, the stories keep pouring in and they are what kind of gets you through the horror of it all.
Delete