We got a great offer six days after we listed and after a little back and forth negotiations, we signed the papers and moved forward with the inspection.
And around there things started to go a little south.
Our buyers are first-time homeowners and seemed totally freaked that there was anything at all deteriorated in the house. There aren't any major issues but there is some chimney deterioration, the furnace is getting kind of old, stuff like that. This all made perfect sense to us - the house is, after all, sixty years old - but our buyers came back with a list a page long of everything "wrong," a few things they wanted us to fix, and a request for a hefty price reduction.
This is also the point where Scott and I started reacting a touch differently to the back-and-forth. He was pretty level-headed about the whole thing, basically saying, "We'll try to work this out and if it doesn't work out we'll get another buyer, no big deal."
My reaction was more like, "What?!?! Why do they keep referring to deferred maintenance and preventing further deterioration?? It's not like we've been sitting around on our butts the past six years while the house went to hell! WHO DO THESE PEOPLE THINK THEY ARE?!?!"
All in a very shrieky, slightly hysterical manner.
Heading into last weekend it wasn't looking too good for the Purchase & Sale agreement getting signed but then...it all came together.
I know one thing for absolutely sure - I take things way too personally to ever pursue a career in real estate!
We're set to close mid-December but may be moving that up a bit depending on how some other things play out. There are some things brewing on the house-buying front, but I am feeling a little superstitious and don't want to share anything until it's a bit more concrete. But stay tuned - I reallyreallyreally hope I have some exciting news SOON!

i am SO excited for you to buy another house and make it all your own!!! WOOHOO! congrats on the hard part being done!
ReplyDeleteIf you ask me there are few things in life as stressful as selling a house. I hope that things will go smoothly from here on out!!!
ReplyDeleteSo glad it is done!!! Congrats and can't wait to hear the news :) xo Kristin
ReplyDeleteI would be the same way! When you are like you are you take pride in your house and of course are naturally defensive as it is your work and you are proud of it as you should be! Congrats though! Its a beautiful house but I can't wait to see what you projects come down the line with the new place!
ReplyDeleteLaura
House Envy
Congratulations! Oh, gosh, it is so hard being on pins and needles like this. We had a few things come up when we were going through the inspection and P & S - our hot water heater let go the night of the inspection and I wondered what they touched that day!!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed that all goes smoothly. x
ReplyDeleteHa, I would totally be the same. After all we put our everything into our homes, so yes...it's totally personal!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad it's done now. Take a deep breath ;)
I understand 100% Back in Norfolk, we had buyers that even our agent ----with over 30 years of experience ---called The Buyers From Hell!
ReplyDeleteHang in there......it will all be worth it!!!!
Woohoooo!!! I knew it would sell fast! That house is gorgeous! I mean don't they know it's been featured in BHG!!
ReplyDeleteSelling your home is THE most stressful thing!! And some people will always want something for nothing. Seriously! We put our house on the market (then took it off. ;) and I decided we will definitely pay a realtor when we do sell. It's worth the money just so we don't have to hear how everything needs work! What?!?! Like you said "sitting on our butts while it all falls apart around us??" OMW. One lady told us she loved everything, but the refrigerator wasn't big enough. ??? So go buy a bigger one!!! I just laughed, walked to the door and told her thanks for stopping by (and don't let the door hit you...) Anyhoooo, happy you have a buyer. :D
ReplyDeleteSounds exactly like our last house sale! Ugh!!! Congrats on getting it done!
ReplyDeleteOh I hear ya! You put all that work in and it is deeply personal. And some buyers have the attitude of "What, you didn't fix that? How lazy are you?" They don't realize how much work it is to maintain, not to mention update an older home, especially when you have to take care of your family too!
ReplyDelete